* For two Pie Pastry 9″ pan
- 3 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 10 Tbsp Cold Butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup of Cold Vegetable Shortening, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp Salt
- 8 – 10 Tbsp of Ice Water
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
1) In a food processor add the flour and salt, pulse once to incorporate.
2) Add the butter and shortening, pulse about 10 times or until the butter is about the size of peas and distributed evenly.
3) While pulsing and 1 tbsp of ice water until the dough comes together when pinched between fingers.
4) Dump the dough in a lightly floured surface and quickly form into a disk.
5) Wrap dough and pop it in the fridge for about half an hour before using.
** For the Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups Fresh Pumpkin Puree, Click here for Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg plus 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, optional
- 2 Pie Dough
- Whipped cream, for topping
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place 2 piece pie dough down into a (9-inch) pie pan and press down along the bottom and all sides. Pinch and crimp the edges together to make a pretty pattern. Put the pie shell back into the freezer for 1 hour to firm up. Fit a piece of aluminum foil to cover the inside of the shell completely. Fill the shell up to the edges with pie weights or dried beans (about 2 pounds) and place it in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the foil and pie weights and bake for another 10 minutes or until the crust is dried out and beginning to color.
For the filling, in a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined. Add the sugar and salt, and beat until combined. Add the eggs mixed with the yolks, half-and-half, and melted butter, and beat until combined. Finally, add the vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger, if using, and beat until incorporated.
Pour the filling into the warm prepared pie crust and bake for 50 minutes, or until the center is set. Place the pie on a wire rack and cool to room temperature. Cut into slices and top each piece with a generous amount of whipped cream.