- 6 large eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup shortening3 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Colored sprinkles
1. Using a heavy-duty mixer, beat eggs on high speed until light and foamy, about 5 minutes; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, confectioners’ sugar and baking powder; on low speed, gradually beat in shortening and extracts until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Gradually add beaten eggs (dough will be stiff).
2. Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes (tops of the cookies will not brown, but bottoms should brown slightly).
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, milk and extracts until smooth. As soon as cookies are removed from the oven, quickly dip two or three at a time into glaze. Remove with a slotted spoon or tongs; place on wire racks to drain. Immediately top with sprinkles. Let dry for 24 hours before storing in airtight containers.Yield: about 7 dozen.